Backpacking Jambalaya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backpacking Jambalaya

This is a very simple recipe and you can make it extra spicy if you want by adding a little tabasco.

Buy a couple packs of the jambalaya/rice mix from a local grocery store. Cook the rice as normal (it usually has beans and other spices already mixed in with it)

Cook the rice so that there is still some water left in the top but make sure you constantly stir the pot to make sure you don't burn the rice or over cook it. (that is, if you're using a backpacking stove) Next, slice sausage (precooked) and add it to taste. Stir while the pot is simmering for another 10 mins or until your desired thickness. Let is cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!!

Also, the best kind of sausage is the hickory farms brand but other brands will work too.

Sounds like we tend to cook similarly! I like the rice meals, both dry packaged like this, or the newer "Ready To Eat" meal packs. Zatarain's is my favorite, and cheapest too.
    We have a local sausage maker - Tiny Register - who makes some excellent country sausage. But on the road, I tend to use the foil packs of meat - chicken, tuna and SPAM.

You are right on the burning - took me a couple tries to learn NOT to burn the food in my steel canteen cup - Need to add a bit more water and keep stirring!
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Backpacking Jambalaya

Howdy Big Sexy,

Sounds yummy! Excellent receipe!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
        Sounds like we tend to cook similarly! I like the rice meals, both dry packaged like this, or the newer "Ready To Eat" meal packs.
        I just found "Ready To Eat" rice packs this spring. Sure makes for fast cooking, no burnin way to fix rice. I found one in a boilable ziploc bag, which means I don't have to eat it all, and have something to store what's left for another meal.

I get cafeteria size tuna cans and use them as cooking pots when I am trail pounding. If I cook w/open fire, I don't worry about cleaning the outsides when I get home. I trash it. School cafeterias will save them for you, if you want to try them.
        Chuck
        So. Oregon
        TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
        TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
        SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Working...
        X