Tent camping in snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping in snow

How is tent camping in snow? My snow runs have always been close enough to just do day runs, but what would I have to look out for when tent camping?

"All weather" tent or some such? Winter rated sleeping bag? Or am I better off just sticking with day runs?

Thanks.

I haven't tent camped in years. I would imagine getting off the ground would be the key; maybe a self inflating air mattress?
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

just make sure your gear is rated for cold .it will tell u what temp your sleeping bag is good for on the packs i guess it would hold true for your tent to.

Comment

The key is in layers for everything. You've got your standard tent, fine. You need to put blankets-- at least 3 on the ground to protect from the cold ground. You need to put a tarp or two around the tent to keep the warm air in. You need a sleeping bag that is good enough for freezing temps. I reccomend goose down cucoon style. Also blankets around yourself in the bag. And air mattress is a good idea as well.

The best thing you can get, however, is the little Coleman portable propane heater. Costs under $30 everywhere, and will create enough heat to make it feel like spring. It's great.

Comment

I've heard that a full size air mattress is actually not a good idea because the air in the mattress will be cold. With that said, I've never slept in the snow but I have slept in sub freezing tempratures with my ThermaRest ProLite 4 (which is a four season self inflating pad) and a 15 degree Big Agnes bag. I was comfortable, but I think a closed cell foam pad (RidgeRest) under the ProLite would have been a big help.

Comment

I've yet to actually camp in the snow. I love hiking in the winter. I'm from Minnesota, it's in my blood... I think. Anyways, I've stayed in sub-freezing cabins, campers, and even a 3 seasons porch. I was in the 4th season... I'll be attempting to camp in the snow in a couple weeks. But if I chicken out, a warm RV will be waiting for me.

I should be ok. I've got a good tent, plenty of tarps, an army extreme cold weather mummy bag and more than enough layers.
            MN Camper

Comment

Many, many layers. I just wrote a long story about winter camping if you're interested:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Winter-Cam...Gear&id=573514

The ground is really a problem, as it does pull warmth out from under you. I tend to not hike that far in in the winter so that I can always go for the car in the worst of outcomes. This has never happened (yet). I also think it's fun to have a thermometer handy. One winter it was reading a toasty 65 on the front side of me (facing the fire) and 34 on the back side. Rotation was needed.... ;-)
              Camping gear at http://www.miserlymonkey.com

Comment

The only time I ever went snow camping was with the boy scouts. My dad let me use a US Army bag. I also brought along a tarp and a few blankets. With just a warm set of PJ's and that bag I slept very well. The tent was a surplus tent that held about 12 of us.

Comment

Wow. That's brave.

I guess I'm getting old. At this point, I only go camping in the snow if I have two bags and a ton of layers. I just enjoy sleeping too much.

That being said, there's nothing like waking up to find fresh snow all around... It's really cool.
                  Camping gear at http://www.miserlymonkey.com

Comment

tent camping in the snow

When I was a kid we used to do what we called a polar bear camp. We would throw a bay of hay down and break it up and spreadd it out so it was between the snow and the bottom tarp for the tent. That would keep us insulated from the ground and we would stay pretty warm, but we would have to sleep with our boots in the sleeping bag or they would freeze, and we would have to warm them up near the fire before we could put them on. One of the guys hung his longjohns out during the night and then next day he could lean them against the tent, because they were frozen stiff.

Camper Joe

Comment

Camperjoe,

That sounds like a pretty fun camping idea for the kids. I will have to remember that one.

Best,
                      Jeff Marshall

Camping Books

Comment

I have been snow cave camping in alaska near the end of winter and all we brough for sleeping was a Bivy sack, a therma rest pro lite 3 air matress and a good 15 degree mummy bag. we were fine. the people that didnt bring this gear got cold halfway through the night and skied down the hill to the trucks and slep there.

Has anyone ever used the Outdoor Research Down sleeping pad?
                        They say it packs up pretty small on the website but it dosn't give any spcifications.
                        http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/downmats.html
                        If im going to pay 4140.00 for a sleeping pad it better pack up small, be lightweight and be really comphy.

Comment

Working...
                        X