Quick, simple, cheap, and good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick, simple, cheap, and good?

I'm hoping to make several trips up to the mountains this summer, and I'd like to know what you like to eat when you're camping. I'll be Jeeping, so lightweight or hauling ice won't really be issues.
    Thing is, though, I'm 19 and usually have no passengers, so I'd prefer ideas that are quick and easy to make, and cheap is cool. I'm not really interested in going all out on a camp stove, to make dinner for just me.

So anyhow, what's good?

When I was single and camped with friends I lived on:

"Hobo Pies": Before leaving I would buy 1lb of hamburger meat, a few whole potatoes, some of the individually packaged vegetable snack packs. Buy a new roll of aluminum foil. With the foil make a pocket/pita looking thing, pull off table spoon size portions of hamburger meat, cut up one of the potatoes, drop in one of the vegetable snack packs. Seal up the foil good, with a few layers then through it next to some white hot coals in the fire for about 20 minutes.

Lunch: deli meat on a Ritz Cracker with some cheddar cheese :D

Breakfast: Pop Tarts cooked like Hobo Pies...but not as long, just enough to melt the "fruit" in side. <"fruit" term used loosely>
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

Hobo pies sound like what I'm looking for. Should be no problem to make them up before leaving, right?

What else have you got? I'm going on the NAXJA Rubicon trip in August, four nights eating the same food is a little long. :D
      Thanks. Phil

Comment

For the Rubicon I would be taking allot of Chef Bouradi(sp?); ravioli, spaghetti. You can probably take the lid off of the can and warm it over the fire; plus you don't have to worry about it going spoiled in the back of the XJ. The downside is the weight and the trash that would need to be carried off.

I'd also pack a bunch of the CapriSun BIGpouchs. Like the kids drinks but bigger. Good source of sugar, and a decent alternative to water while on the trail. Plus they lay flat after they are empty.
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

I've got a 30 and a 44 in the back of the XJ right now, a few cans are nothing. :D Good point though, a week's worth of stuff will add up. The empty cans, I can open the bottom end and smash them flat, and they'll take up less space.

I've been drinking Kool-Aid lately. It's cheap, full of sugar - I know! I mix it myself! - and masks the taste of the water, if I use city tapwater. It's going to be hard to keep stuff cold the whole time, but it seems like with the Kool-aid, I can just bring a big jug of water to use for whatever I need, and use it to mix up drinks. I think that might work better for me, than bringing lots of water and lots of drinks.

Comment

hobo pies do sound good! i dont have any super receipies but military rations could also be okay. theyve come a long way. you can get them a cheaperthandirt.com. almost everything from chicken w/noodles to speghetti and you can get them with coffee, hot chocolate, graham crackers etc. we keep rations in our 5er, i figure they last forever and you never now what emergency could come up.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigpunn
              hobo pies do sound good! i dont have any super receipies but military rations could also be okay. theyve come a long way. you can get them a cheaperthandirt.com. almost everything from chicken w/noodles to speghetti and you can get them with coffee, hot chocolate, graham crackers etc. we keep rations in our 5er, i figure they last forever and you never now what emergency could come up.
              That's a good idea; I think I'd just keep them for emergencies though. :D
              JohnJohn
              ---------
              Forum Admin

Comment

How about MRE's?

Sounds crazy but what about some MRE's? They have gotten alot better since those nasty powdered eggs. I had the great pleasure of being part of the FEMA team during the Huricanes last year and we had nothing but MRE's. You might want to do a body cleansing after your trip but when you want something that is light for packing and only needs a little water for cooking these little meals are great. I suggest the Meatloaf. I know it sounds gross but trust me!
                zidane

Comment

You could prep most of your food before yo go and have them in zip lock bags. If any of them could be freezed, freeze them so you have to take less ice with you. The zip lock bags once empty take up very little room. Some else once took the 1 gallon water jugs and froze them and as they thawed used them as drinking water.... One item i like to take is pasta with me. the dish is made up then cooled and placed in a bag. to reheat place in pot, when hot you eat, if you doing this for one eat out of the pot because then you have one less dish to clean.

Markus

Comment

Hobo pies sound perfect, easy, and economical! Personally, I've been thinking about bringing mostly brown rice and dried fruit when I go out this spring break.

Comment

Working...
                    X