Late Summer Grand Canyon Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Summer Grand Canyon Trip

The family and I are planning to head out sometime later this summer to the Grand Canyon. Neither my wife nor I have ever been. We have a medium sized pop-up and are looking for a good RV campground to spend a few nights in. We prefer full hook-ups (power and water)

What is the best side to stay on? Is there anything we are going to miss by going in the late summer early fall? Any other attraction nearby that we should check out?

Thanks,
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Originally posted by JohnJohn
    What is the best side to stay on? Is there anything we are going to miss by going in the late summer early fall? Any other attraction nearby that we should check out?

Thanks,

A few years ago, my wife and I went to both the north rim and south rim of the Grand Canyon. Both were beautiful, although I think that we were most impressed with the north rim. It was beautiful and had fewer crowds.

We ended up staying in the cabins at the North Rim and remember seeing a nice RV camp ground near by. I recall the campground being within walking distance of the rim, trails and the lodge.

As far as things to do on the way to the Canyon, check out:

Point jumpup. It is a desolate dirt road that winds through some beautiful country on the north rim of the Canyon.

If you are near Page, Arizona check out Antelope Canyon. The site has some really cool sandstone formations. (bring your camera!)

Have fun,
    Darren
    Last edited by teamgl; 01-06-2004, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks Darren,

Would it be possible to take a day trip down to the South rim, if we end up staying on the North side? While I'm getting pretty fast at it; opening and closing the pop up camper is not really the funniest thing in the world.
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

Would it be possible to take a day trip down to the South rim, if we end up staying on the North side? While I'm getting pretty fast at it; opening and closing the pop up camper is not really the funniest thing in the world.

Hi JohnJohn:

I guess that it would be possible to hit the south rim, while leaving the camper at the north rim. Although, it would make for a long day. If memory serves, from visitor center to visitor center it would take several hours. That would make for a long day of driving and not allow a lot of time on the south rim.

FYI - While on the south rim, take the shuttle bus to herman’s roost (?). The shuttle makes a loop on the west side of the park and runs along the south rim. There are also hiking trails between the bus stops, so you can take the bus or hike.

Have fun,
        Darren

Comment

Lots of great info Darren, Thanks!
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

Thanks Darren,

Hello! I just found this forum through a yahoo group, and I hope it is helpful for us camping faithful!
            About G Canyon- I have been there several times over the years, with the latest trip in 2001. It is always great to see, but recently it is getting pretty crowded and commercial at the south rim. it is of course the ultimate view and that is why 97% of visitors go there. About driving between the two- it is at least a 6 hour drive, so if you want to see both, then I would do it as two stops, and not a back and forth. There are several other parks and monuments in the region. I saw most of them on the last trip, but is was quite hot everywhere, usually in the mid 90's, and no shade.
            We saw Tuzigoot, walnut canyon, wupatki, Petrified forest, Sedona, GC deer farm, and both scenic trains. (rails to rim and Verde canyon) We also passed thru Sedona, and did a couple other things.
            About camping in the area- I did not do cuz we flew and stayed in a Sleep Inn in Flagstaff. I can tell you that the NP and NF camps are no hookup, but commercial camps may be around the south entrance in Tusayan. If you do stay in NP campground, a reservation is required.
            Go to NP web sight, and also do a search for Arizona web sights if you are interested.

Tim in snowy PA

Comment

Which rim?

Which rim is about 5 hours from Vegas, West rim? And how accesible is it? Worth the drive? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by angel in white
                Which rim is about 5 hours from Vegas, West rim? And how accesible is it? Worth the drive? Thanks!
                Wish I could help, but we ended up not making the trip this year.
                JohnJohn
                ---------
                Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by angel in white
                  Both the north and south rims of the grand canyon, are easily accessible by good roads. The south rim is closer timewise, about 5 hours. North rim would be a longer drive from Vegas, due to more 2 lane roads, and slower speeds.
                  As far as being worth it, that depends on what you enjoy doing/seeing, etc. The Grand canyon, is the most incredible geologic/scenic wonder on the planet. It is also hot, dry, and very crowded during peak travel times. (kinda like Vegas!)

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by wolfengesteinen
                    Both the north and south rims of the grand canyon, are easily accessible by good roads. The south rim is closer timewise, about 5 hours. North rim would be a longer drive from Vegas, due to more 2 lane roads, and slower speeds.
                    As far as being worth it, that depends on what you enjoy doing/seeing, etc. The Grand canyon, is the most incredible geologic/scenic wonder on the planet. It is also hot, dry, and very crowded during peak travel times. (kinda like Vegas!)
                    Thank you wolfen! Very helpful

Comment

Howdy JohnJohn,

So, tell us about your Grand Canyon Trip, now that summer is over?
                      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Grand Canyon or What?

Howdy,

This seems to be a big question should one go, which rim is the best, what is the best campsite, can I walk it in one day, how big is it, really? Man, you don't even know!

The Grand Canyon is the best thing on earth that has it all, beauty, scenery, wildlife, camping places, tourist attractions. If you even think of going there you should! It is fantastic!

I live in Las Vegas, I guess many of you have realized that. From Las Vegas to the South Rim it is in the neighborhood of a six hour drive, minding the speed limit of 75 mph down to 50 mph through construction areas. And like some states back East that have winter and construction seasons the south road into the area is abundant with construction. The South Rim is at 7000' in elevation. To the South Rim the drive is mostly freeway until Williams, Arizona. The highway department always counts down ten miles so there are new signs telling you how far it is. And then once you arrive, then you are left speechless because nothing compares!

To the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas is closer to nine hours, if you obey the speeding law. One has to drive through Nevada, Arizona, Utah and then back into Arizona to get there. The roadway to St. George is freeway 1 hour, but then from there it is two lane road and the speed limit is down to 65 mph and in some towns the speed is 25 mph. Once one get to Jacobs Lake, Arizona it is still another hour to the rim. The North Rim closes every year around October 15th, because of cold weather and maybe snow. The North Rim opens every spring by May 15th. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is at 9000' elevation.

From the North Rim to the South Rim as the crow flies is a little over ten miles apart. Hiking it, from North to South or South to North is 25.8 miles. It is an inverted mountain, hiking down is rapid, hiking up is a killer. If you meet a pack train or tourists on mules, they have the right of way, you have to stop and let them pass. From the North Rim to the bottom where Phatom Ranch is located is 14.7 miles. If you start when the North rim is 70 degrees the bottom will be well over a hundred degrees. Thirst is a big killer in the west. One has to pack plenty of water. I've met plenty of hikers who planned to hike it all in one day, rim to rim to rim...impossible! I hiked it in three days and it made me appreciate life all the more! I have never met anyone who has hiked rim to rim to rim in one day, that is over 50 miles. It can't be done! If you want to hike it, spend a few months everyday with a fifty pound pack and climb stairs for the excersice. That is the best advice I can give. If you want to drive around it in one day that's an 8 hour trip, because the roads circle it, there is no bridge! If you have seen it you know what I mean and if you haven't seen it, go see it, you won't be disappointed! The last time I hiked it rim to rim was for my 50th birthday and that was six years ago and I'm planning on doing it again if I live to be sixty, etc, etc... The canyon that is Grand only requires one thing from anyone and that is respect! Respect the Canyon and live.
                        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Working...
                        X