Roof rack for pop-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack for pop-up

I sold my F150 and now will be towing my pop up with a Cherokee XJ. That leaves a lot less space for me to carry stuff. Anyone here put a Thule style rack on the top of their camper? If so, did you drill the roof or does someone make brackets that mount to the side.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

The thread got a few views so I will update you on what I decided to do.

I decided to get a 72" track system mounted to the top. A local truck topper place was well skilled at mounting these systems to truck toppers. They said the unit will be sealed and leak free. The track will accept Thule or Yakima mounting arms and bars. I plan on putting a cargo box and small roof basket to carry the cooler and kid’s bikes and stuff.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

Finnally got it

I ended up doing 78" Thule bars with about 6ft's of bolt on track. I also picked up the 21cft. Yakima cargo box and the Yakima load warrior with 18" extension. I have a ton of storage. I will post some pictures this weekend.
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

I too have a Thule Rack on top of my Pop up. I had 1/2 of a set of Artificial Roof Rails by Thule (I used the other 1/2 on the hard top of my Wrangler). I ended up buying a set of Yakima "top mounts" or something like to complete the setup on the pop-up. Basically that gave me some artificial rain gutters to mount my Thule towers on. I already had the towers that I use on my Wrangler's hard top and wanted to be able to re-use these on the pop-up. (Obviously if I'm towing with my Wrangler in convertible mode, I wouldn't be needing the towers and bars!) Oh, I just used the same bars that I had on the Wrangler. I forget their length. I figure I have plenty of room for my needs. And I mounted it forward of my A/C unit as well. Most of the weight of my rack system is forward of the axle.

I also have a completely seperate Thule rack that goes on our Jeep Liberty. So, I have the ability to have thule racks on the Liberty AND the pop-up simultaneously! I have the following accessories:

2 big mouth bike carriers
        2 flat top ski/snowboard carriers (4 boards total capacity)
        1 Thule North Cape (lower profile) box with 16 cubic feet of cargo space

And I have the entire system's locks (16) all coded to the same key.

I've also recently acquired a front reciever hitch for our Liberty. I have a hitch rack like this:

And also a hitch bike rack that can hold 3 bikes. So, if I really wanted, I could utilize that on the front of the Liberty.

Basically, I now think I have more options than I could really want or need, and that's the BEST position to be in!!!

I really need to get around to taking pictures of my pop-up's rack system because I'm always getting questions on it.

Most people are scared to death to drill holes in their beloved pop-up, but I just got some silicone, gathered up my cajones, and did it.
        Last edited by trayson; 05-21-2004, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Space:

Sounds we are in the same boat. I have two young childern and no truck bed. :D I love my new Wrangler, but no space. Now I have the space I need with the ability to cruise to the campsite with the top off. The kids get to take all thier toys and I get to take mine too. :D I'll get around to posting some pics tonight.
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

pictures

I'm still waiting on the 18" extension to make the tubular rack longer.

JohnJohn
            ---------
            Forum Admin

Comment

Hey Trayson,

Just a word of advice (from a fellow jeep owner) if you use the hitch-haul type rack on the front (instead of the back) just make sure you don't block your radiator too much in the summer (or else your engine will over heat!) A buddy of mine made that mistake on his XJ and he had to buy a new engine. I have the Thule playpen basket as well and it comes in handy on top of the jeep for all my camping gear! I think they make an excellent product.
              Last edited by BigsexyatUSC; 06-18-2004, 10:06 AM. Reason: mispelled a word

Comment

roof rack

ok i have a pop up with air . would like a rack to haul my canoe do they make them tall enough to go over the air condtioner?

Comment

Originally posted by feelgood
                  ok i have a pop up with air . would like a rack to haul my canoe do they make them tall enough to go over the air condtioner?
                  Good question. You might be able to install the rack with one bar in front and one behind the air conditioning unit. Think your canoe would fit?
                  JohnJohn
                  ---------
                  Forum Admin

Comment

im more worried about the height of it .its got to be a good foot and a half to a foot.how tall are your up bars if that make sense?

Comment

im more worried about the height of it .its got to be a good foot and a half to a foot.how tall are your up bars if that make sense?
                      The bottom of the cross bars are 4" off the top of the campers roof. Is that what your looking for?
                      JohnJohn
                      ---------
                      Forum Admin

Comment

yeah that helps but i dont think they are tall enough to go over the air con.do u know if they make taller ones?txs

Comment

Could you put one bar in front of the conditioner and the other bar behind it? I don't think they make the bars taller than that.
                          JohnJohn
                          ---------
                          Forum Admin

Comment

dont think it will work. it has to be a foot high.

Comment

dont think it will work. it has to be a foot high.
                              Yakima makes a product called "Highrise Towers" that are 10 3/4" tall. It's as tall as Yakima goes.

Thule makes a "super high" tower that is 11" tall.

If you got either of these options, I bet that you could buy a mount that goes on top of the bar that gives you that extra inch of two that you need. Or, heck you might be able to just make one.

Both of these are kind of spendy at $140 - $170 MSRP

Both of these clamp onto the 'rain gutter' style bottoms.
                              If you're REAL creative, you could mount a receiver hitch on the back of your pop-up, and use Thule's "goal post" to pop the tail end up enough to clear the A/C.

Last edited by trayson; 04-20-2005, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X